Chatswood Rugby Club formed in 1912 as a Borough club in the 3rd Grade of the District Competition and continued until World War I. It was re-formed in 1925, for the first time since 1914, when it entered the Burke Cup and was runners-up to Hunters Hill in the following year.
A picture of C Bradley’s house, the secretary of the day’s, residence at 24 Neridah St is in the clubhouse. This was used as the first clubhouse. In 1927 the club changed colours to Black and Gold (4 in bars).
Rugby was once again held in abeyance over the second world war and the club reformed in 1947. Minutes of the first AGM and club financial report for the year of 1947 are framed in the clubhouse. In this year the club won premierships in under 21’s and 1st and 2nd grades. Representatives from Chatswood played in the Gordon – Northern District zone versus Western zone, these included A Henry, P May, F Morrad, B Ingus and R Richards.
History is vague over the following years until a resurgence over the early sixties. Chatswood achieved the status of the largest junior rugby club in the southern hemisphere at one stage. It is through the juniors most of the representatives have risen. Latter day juniors numbering Mark Harthill. 1965 marked a resurgence in the club with 1st Grade becoming Gordon-Northern District – North Harbour premiers – achieving statistics of played 21 won 14 drawn 3 lost 4 games for a total of 414 points for and 169 points against. The team was coached by Geoff. Blackburn captained by G Gay with Colin Haines as Vice Captain. A photo of the side is hung in the clubhouse.
1966 saw the team as Whiddon Cup premiers being undefeated playing and winning 17 games Statistics being 311 for and 31 points against. This side was captained by Geoff Blackburn with Col Haines once again as vice-captain. 1966 too saw the 1st grade as Northern Harbour premiers playing 19 games winning 18 and losing 1 with a tally of 502 points for versus 132 points against.
Around this time the Chatswood Junior Rugby football club parents in association with the Lions Club carried extension work on the existing pavilion expanding the facility and giving the club its current clubrooms as a lower level room for honour boards, trophy cabinet and a somewhat limited bar facility. A plaque commemorating this event in 1965 honours the club, to the right of the main pavilion entrance doors. Above the doors inside hangs a photograph of the parents involved.
1977 was a highlight for Chatswood, winning the 2nd division Club championship with all four sides in the finals and 3 being grand finalists but being unable to secure a single premiership.
1987 saw a Whiddon team coached by John Adam win premiership titles being captained by Ian Williams with Graham (Womp) Sherwin managing. This side played 20 games losing 3 games and drawing 2, points for 259 and 108 against. This was to be the last year for a decade in Kentwell Cup as despite the wins the club was relegated to 2nd Division.
1990 realised premierships in 2nd Division in Stockdale and Blunt Cups. Captained by Stewart Scott-Stevenson, Coached by Jack Seatter assisted by Richard Coneybeare the 2nd Grade team played 21 games winning 16 losing 5 with a points tally of 290 for versus 121 against. The 3rd Grade side fared even better becoming minor premiers playing 20 games winning 17 drawing 2 and conceding only 1 loss. Captained by Ian Williams, Vice-Captain Rick Harris, with coaching being shared by the two their tally was an impressive 278 for versus 32 against. (Both Grand Finals were played against Blue Mountains with 2nd Grade sharing honours after extra time to become joint premiers).
1993 saw success in a 2nd grade Stockdale Cup premiership under captain/coach Craig Nisbett. As he records in the year book the main opponent was Hunters Hill with result for the year being 5-3 for in round 1, 6-7 against in round 2, 10-12 in the major Semi against with a 7-3 win in the Grand Final. The team won 16 games and lost 3 (2 against Hunters Hill). Craig was assisted by Dale Stafford and the team was managed by Tim Doyle.
After a lean time, Chatswood RUFC has regrouped and had a big year in its centenary year 2012. 2013 saw both Chatswood teams place 4th with the first semi finals apearance since 2006.
in 2016 Chatswood are coached by former Wallaby, Tony Daly. Tony scored the match winning try in the 1991 World cup final and is a great asset to the club in particular the scrum.